Monday, April 18, 2011

50 days down...951 to go...

Today marks the first 50 days of my 1001 days to complete my list.  I have made progress on my list and while I like checking things off of lists, this particular list has done some unexpected things.  As time goes on, I would expect that the excitement for completing this list will come and go, but there isn't a day in the past 50 days that I haven't thought about it.  So...here are some things I have noticed in the last 50 days.

First of all, I realized how much I miss writing and how much I look forward to writing on this blog.  I will be the first to admit the kind of writing I enjoy doing isn't going to bring me to the point that I will need any kind of publisher, but I do enjoy storytelling and this blog has given me the opportunity to do that.  In addition to storytelling, it has given all those jumbled up thoughts in my head a place to go.  There have been a few times that my posts have served as a way for me to process what I am thinking and I walk away from the computer with more clarity than when I sat down.

The second thing that I noticed is how much more I am looking for opportunities to be kind.  I wouldn't consider myself an unkind person, but I think I am not abnormal in that it can be easy to get wrapped up in ones own trials and troubles.  It is easy to forget there are situations around me that warrant some attention, and at times, empathy and understanding.  I am not claiming to be any kind of Mother Teresa (in fact I am trying hard to steer away from any kind of religious conversation) but I will say I have considered what it would be like to walk in other people's shoes more since starting my work on the list.

Another unexpected result of me starting this list and this blog is how it has inspired others.  Obviously I didn't come up with this idea on my own and found my own inspiration from others.  And even though one of the things on my list was to inspire someone else to make a list, for some reason I didn't really expect people to give me credit.  It is a little humbling, for me anyway, for someone to say that they were inspired by something I did.  There are a couple of people that have started there own list (making #83 officially checked off), but there are even others that have modified the idea to fit what is going on in their life.  One new recipe a week, starting their own blog.....  Who knows what their own reasons are for wanting to add this into their life?  I don't even think I really know why this whole list thing struck such a cord in me....but it did.  And no matter their reason, it excites me that I have may have had a part in it.

Finally, I think the thing that was most unexpected was that I didn't expect this whole thing to be such a learning experience for me.  What I have been able to think about and put into words in the last 50 days is kind of like writing my own self-help book...and I wonder what I am going to learn next?  Kind of exciting and terrifying all at the same time.

So, if you are still reading this or any other of my blog posts...thank you.  The comments that you make here on the blog or when I see you in person, remind me that I am writing not only for myself, but for you as well (and knowing you are here makes me feel slightly less crazy) so keep them coming!

50 days down...951 to go

1 comment:

  1. I'm here, my friend. Thanks for all you do and all you are!

    ReplyDelete