Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ah, how good it feels! The hand of an old friend. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

In the summer of 2005, I had an experience that not only transformed my teaching world but my personal world.  I went kicking and screaming, but the four weeks I spent as a participant of Oregon Writer's Project (OWP from here on out) changed my life.  I had never had considered myself a writer and would have never considered writing as something I would choose to do in my free time.  But now, both of those things are true.

After my first experience of writing and sharing and then more writing, I was hooked.  I threw myself into becoming a part of OWP at the local level and they encouraged me.  I went to Nashville, Washington D.C., and New York City.  I became a part of the advisory board, providing in-service co-taught the summer institute, and organized writing marathons. I had found a teaching home, a place where if I could think of it, it was possible.  A place that testing did not reign supreme.  A place I found my voice and helped me teach my students to find theirs.  It was nothing short of magical.

Then through a series of events, some of the them fortunate (Taelin) and others less fortunate, I took a break from OWP.  I hoped that as Taelin got older and I became a little wiser that I would find my way back.  I wasn't sure what my role would be, but I hoped that I would find a way to become a part of something that had given me so much.

Today, I found my way back.  I attended the visioning retreat (which might sound like I was expected to smoke some illegal substance..which I wasn't) to celebrate the work that has been done and discuss what was next for the site.  It didn't take long to feel like I was with old friends even though much of the group where people I didn't know.  There is a special bond that people share, something that can't really be explained to someone that hasn't been a part of it.  Whatever it is, the feeling is recreated instantly when you put a group of writing project people together.  It took maybe 5 minutes of being part of the group today and I realized how much I missed it.

I have a couple of ideas swirling in my head about what is next.  I am not sure I am ready to share them yet because I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew, but I know one thing for sure....OWP, old friend, I am back.

1 comment:

  1. Oh!! you should do NaNoWriMo!! Charlie participates every November, and has a start to a really great novel because of it. (Help me pester him to finish it!!)

    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

    ReplyDelete