Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup

So, by reading the title of the soup, you pretty much have the recipe.  There isn't anything earth-shattering about this particular soup, other than I just kind of made it up.  It has kind of become a tradition that on the rare occasion I get together and scrapbook with my friends, Peggy and Betty, that we have some kind of soup for lunch.  It was my turn to bring the soup and I had grand plans to try and make Pasta E Fagioli.  But Thursday night seems to run away from me so off to the store I went Friday morning to pick something up.

I looked at all the "just add water" soups and it just wasn't doing it for me.  I picked something up and then put it back.  Looked at another one and changed my mind again.  Clearly, I needed  Plan C.

Enter, Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup.  I remember one time that I had a soup with tortellini in it that it was really good, so I decided on that first.  Next, I decided on a chicken broth base just because it sounded better to me.  Since I decided tortellini floating in chicken broth wasn't going to cut it, I found some garlic chicken sausage and frozen carrots and headed to the check out.  I wasn't sure what the result would be, but I had a plan...kind of.

It actually turned out pretty good and Betty and Peggy thought so too...at least that it what they said.  So, here is my last minute recipe!

Ingredients:

6 cups of chicken broth
1 package of tortellini
2 link of Al fresco roasted garlic chicken sausage (6 oz. total)
2 cups of frozen carrots
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Directions

1. The chicken sausage was already cooked but I wanted to give it some color so I sliced them at an angle and then in half.  They looked like little half moons when I was done slicing.  I heated the olive oil in a pot and brown the sausage pieces.
2.  Once the sausage pieces were brown, I added the chicken broth.  An added flavor bonus came when I needed to scrap up all the bits of sausage that stuck to the bottom of the pan.
3.  Once the chicken broth was boiling, I add the package of tortellini and the carrots.  I kept stirring until I the tortellini and carrots were warmed through.

That's it...5 ingredients and 3 directions.  Seriously the easiest thing I have made in a long time...

1 comment:

  1. Yup, it's yummy! It reheats well too, as I learned later when I had the leftovers for dinner. Thanks Jodie!

    ReplyDelete