Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. ~Scott Adams

I think most people are kind most of the time.  There are those people that certainly could improve on how they treat people, but for the most part the people in my life and the strangers I encounter on a day to day basis are kind.  But, when I read through some of the things that I have put on my list, it seems like I must think I need some work in that area.  

Maybe there is a difference in just being kind throughout your day and then going out of your way to do something kind for someone.  Holding the door for someone is a kind thing to do, but I wouldn't necessarily call that a random act of kindness, but then again...maybe it is. Maybe it is a matter of perspective.  Maybe it doesn't really matter at all and what really matters is that I am finding ways to be kind, big or little.  After all, Scott Adams (the Dilbert guy) that every act, and I am assuming that mean any kind or unkind act, creates a ripple.

For my own purpose of "counting" something for my list, I have decided that the act of kindness needs to be more than just holding a door for someone.  With that said, however, looking for those chances to exhibit kindness in a "big" way has made me more aware of the the little opportunities to exercise some kindness.  How lucky am I?  I get to feel all that of kindness come back at me with a smile or a "thank you".  And, maybe, just maybe that kindness will ripple through them and onto someone else.  That is not something that can be quantified on any kind of list..and nor should it be.

But, this post is not only about the little moments of kindness but the bigger ones too. Just today, I hand wrote two cards to people.  In those cards, I wrote a specific story about how something they did, an act of their own kindness, impacted me; a ripple started by them that had reached it's way back.  I also gave a simple gift, a framed photo, that I feel lucky enough to be able to give.  

So, as my eyelids get heavy and I finish off this day, I am reminded to keep looking for those opportunities. They present themselves often, we just have to be looking for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment