Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson

I got this book for my birthday from a good friend and it has been sitting on the shelf just waiting to be read.  I know a lot of people have read it and enjoyed it, but  I was waiting for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I knew that it was first in a series of three.  This is important because I don't have the next two in the series and if it was can't-put-it-down good, then it would be necessary to have the next in the series on standby.

The second reason, at the other end of the spectrum, was that I don't really read that many series any more.  Other than the Harry Potter series and Twilight (I know...I know...but I loved them all and will proudly say that on the internet), I have steered away from crime fighter kind of series (except the Sookie Stackhouse series and that is more because there are hot non-sparkley vampires) after my James Patterson love affair right after college.  I tend to get hooked, and because I wasn't a book abandoner then, I felt even more compelled to finish a series even though I had kind of gotten sick of the predictable plots.

So, when trying to decide what to read I decided that this would be a good change from the kinds of books that I had been reading.  What I didn't expect is that this book would land in the middle of the before mentioned categories.  It wasn't "Oh-my-gosh!" good but it wasn't "Are there really more like this?" bad either. 

It was kind of a slow start but not enough to make me abandon it.  One character in particular was especially intriguing which kept me reading.  I was able to figure out who the bad guy was pretty quickly, although I didn't know how much of a bad guy he was.  I will at some point read the next two books that follow this one, but I am not in any rush.

Since finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I have started When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. So far, I am only two essays in, but already I want to read more of what he has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment