Sunday, April 29, 2012

The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. ~Dorothea Lange

It is funny how an idea that just barely even develops leads to a profound realization.  Our little family headed to the coast this weekend with not much more planned than that; a few days at the beach with our fingers crossed for some nice weather.  Not unlike many trips, I drug my camera along with a promise to myself that this time I was really going to just take a walk with my camera and see what happens.  Saturday afternoon after getting back from the beach and putting Taelin down for nap I came upstairs to call my brother-in-law for some advice on the best way to compose a picture when you have the beach, waves and sky.  I was really hoping he had some magic formula but realized after I talked to him that it really just comes down to the same thing that it often does....I just need to take lots of pictures and see what I like.

So, when I got off the phone and saw that everyone else had settled down to watch a movie, that always-floating idea of "taking the camera and going" landed.  I grabbed my camera and the lens I rarely use, shoved some cash in my pocket and threw my tennis shoes on.  I looked quickly at my 100 snapshots word list and off I went.

I kept trying to keep in mind the words that I needed to be looking for and started to get frustrated.  Then I just stopped "thinking" and just started "looking".  It was amazing the things that I "saw" when I stopped looking for something specific.  I walked around for 2 hours and while I got some good images (I think), what I really got was a lesson in letting go and just being.

I was able to match some of the pictures I took to some of the words on my list...and then I just got some that I kind of liked.

#59-Two 
#82-hazy 
#93-shatter

This one is actually one of my favorites, but none of the words struck me as fitting for this one. 

#73-rust 
#41-Wonder 
No, I didn't move the ladybug. (Joe asked so I thought some others might think that  too.)
It was just a fun image to try and capture.

#62-rope

#1-safety

Obviously most of these are a little beach "themed" but it was just because that was where I was.  Not all of my 100 will be.  I have really been trying to think about the rule of thirds as I compose the picture.  I am hoping that by purposefully practicing it that it will translate into the other pictures I take (most of which are of Taelin...or at least Taelin centered).  I can tell that I need to work on lighting but that will have to come later.  I am mostly proud of the fact that none of these were taken on the "auto" setting and that I was trying to think of the rule of thirds when I was taking them.

I am so happy that I took the time to do this.  I am really thankful for the time to just "be" and to notice.  Notice the things around me and notice how I felt about them.  I enjoyed the whole weekend away but this two hours was some of my favorite time that I spent.

(And now....a little shameless bragging disguised as a photo...)

My two most favorite people in the whole world

I didn't take this picture (obviously) but it is too sweet to not include.

Love her....

No comments:

Post a Comment