Monday, April 2, 2012

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Apparently a huge stack of books on a book shelf and another 50 more in electronic form is more overwhelming than inspiring because I have not been reading much at all lately.  Mostly to blame is my fascination with the show Numb3ers (which can be found of Netflix streaming).  I have watched all 6 seasons in a rather irresponsible way.  There were many a night that I should have gone to bed...but instead I watched just one more episode..and then another.  I finished all six seasons in record time and there were some sleepy-eyed mornings that I have only myself to blame.  I wandered around the house in the evening wondering what I would do now that the show had ended.  It was honestly a little pathetic.


But, then a friend loaned me a book...and then another friend loaned me a different book.  And then the pressure of having books on loan was too much and I finally picked a book up again.  It was one that was on my "to read" list on Goodreads.  I have read a couple of  books by Ann Patchett before and liked them and so was interested in reading this one.  It had gotten good reviews so I thought I would give it a try.  


I did like it, but I didn't love it.  It was a really slow start and the author (while talented) writes in a style that is not what I necessarily prefer.  I gave it three stars on Goodreads which was lower than the average.  
    
Here is what Goodreads said...
     "....a provocative novel of morality and miracles, science and sacrifice set in the Amazon rainforest--a gripping adventure story and a profound look at the difficult choices we make in the name of discovery and love...."


There were the elements of morality and miracles, science and sacrifice.  It was set in the Amazon rainforest.  There were a lot of choices that had to be made.  I guess, for me,  it just wasn't as gripping as they make it out to be.  Not a bad book...but not a great one.


Next up...the other borrowed book.










          

2 comments:

  1. I have the We Need To Talk About Kevin on my bookshelf borrowed as well, but haven't been able to get into it. Maybe if we are both reading it, I will... Did you start?
    Kaye :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed State of Wonder and can see why Patchett has such fervent fans. I would have given this a five star rating, but the ending left me a feeling somewhat unsatisfied and cheated. It seemed to happen in a rush after such a deliberate slow building story. I found myself wanting to know what happened 'after'. Although this could be a good thing as well - an author who leaves you wanting more.

    ReplyDelete