Monday, April 30, 2012

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

I have read many different memoirs before, but I don't think I have ever read anything as chilling as this book. For those that might not know, Jaycee was kidnapped at age eleven and then found 18 years later.  She had been severely abused and had given birth to two daughters fathered by her captor.  It was hard to read sometimes as she described the horrendous actions of her captor. Her strength is absolutely incredible. Her story is unreal...except that it isn't. 

There were a few different spots in the book where she talked about the times she thought about her mother. She felt like she started to forget what her mother looked like.  She wondered if her mother was still looking for her.  She described how it was to see her again for the first time in 18 years.  She talked about their relationship now.  Out of all that she wrote, I think those terrified me the most because I instantly started to think about Taelin.  I couldn't let myself think for too long because to even imagine something like that happening to Taelin created an anxiety and anger that I didn't want to engage much. 

The writing itself was stilted and at times jumps around but can easily be forgiven when thinking about all she had to endure and the strength it must have taken to write this story.  I can only imagine what a great healing experience writing this book must have been for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment