Friday, April 6, 2012

Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity. ~Lindley Karstens

I sure hope that this quote is true because all of those things sound wonderful.  I grew up having gardens and remember how exciting it was to get the first peas off the vine or pull the tiniest carrots from the ground.  I have been wanted to do some kind of gardening for awhile but between my laziness and using the dog as an excuse, I just haven't done it.  I tried to grow some tomatoes last summer but I think I got them in too late and just didn't get much from them.  

In addition to maybe getting some garden fresh food, I think Taelin and I will have fun gardening.  I am already so looking forward to this summer with Taelin.  We did a lot of fun things last summer, but I think this summer is going to be altogether different.  She is already giving up her afternoon nap and I would guess by this summer they are going to be few and far between.  It will be great to have something like a garden to work on together.

My family just visited from Montana and whenever my dad comes for a visit I try to think up a project for him to do.  He likes having a project...and if I don't think something up then he will find something.  In the past, that something becomes a little bigger than life so I have learned to have something in mind.  This time, it was two raised beds for the background so I can get a little more serious about this gardening thing.

I should have taken some pictures as my dad and sister worked on these two beds, but for some reason I completely spaced it.  They had to work on them in the garage because it rained all week, but three days after they left we had a gorgeous day outside and Taelin and I did a bunch of work in the backyard to get the beds ready to take outside.  Here are some pictures from our day! 

We stopped weeding quite a few times to take a look
 at all the wriggly worms and bugs that we found.

Particularly excited about the bugs that rolled up into
 a ball.  She was about as helpful weeding as you would
expect a three year old to be! But it was SO fun
 to watch how excited she was about each discovery! 

First bubbling blowing of the season!

A "T" for Taelin in sidewalk chalk.
One proud mama here!
(Clearly this has nothing to do with gardening
except for that Taelin was doing this as I was
working in the yard and I took a
picture of it...because I am that kind of mom.) 

Oh...and some raised beds.  They are 8 feet by 1 1/2 feet.
 We have room for more than two but I decided I wanted to start off small.

A closer picture.  They are a little uneven, but they are at
least where they are supposed to be and out of the garage.

I am feeling pretty excited.  I think the next step needs to be figuring out exactly what I want to grow.  I know for sure I want to grow tomatoes, probably cherry, roma, and then some kind of beefsteak-like tomato.  I would like to do green beans too.  Other than that, I am not really sure what I am going to do.  Taelin has declared she is planting flowers (which makes sense since has not really embraced any kind of vegetable).  I think it would be fun to do a strawberry plant or two....  Obviously, I need to work on my plan.  Then I suppose there will need to be a large load of dirt and compost or something....  Ok...I really need to work on my plan.  I think I better close this post up and spend some time figuring some of this stuff out.

Any of you out there have any experience with this?  Any resources I should check out?  Help...anyone?  

No comments:

Post a Comment