Monday, April 2, 2012

Mexican Green Rice

I am currently borrowing a cookbook from a friend after mentioning that I was trying to expand my vegetable repertoire. I have quite a few pages sticky noted and I probably just need to cave and buy the book myself because I seriously doubt I am going to get all the recipes tried before I need to give it back to her.

I have no intention of going vegetarian. There are many compelling reasons, I am sure, but I just like meat too much.  But, as I said before, I have been looking for more vegetable sides dishes and vegetarian cookbooks seems like a good place to look.

The following recipe is the first one I tried and funny enough, it doesn't really have any vegetables in it. There is a smattering...but it isn't the center of the side dish.  No one that knows me even a little bit should be surprised that I found a recipe with carbs.  And you probably shouldn't be surprised that I liked it...a lot.

It did take a little bit of time so I probably wouldn't make it again on a week night, but it you will be seeing it on the menu plan again for sure.


Mexican Green Rice from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz. can of chopped mild green chilies (the recipe said you could also use 1 small hot green chile)
1 cup long-grain brown rice
2 1/2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.  Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until golden. (if you are using a fresh green chile you need to saute it with the onion and garlic)

2. Add the green chilies, rice and water.  Stir in the cumin and oregano and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed.  It took about 35 minutes.  (The recipe did say that if taste the rice at this point and you want it more tender to had another 1/2 cup of water and simmer some more.  I didn't find I needed to to that though.)

3.  Stir in the lime juice and cilantro before you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment