Thursday, March 24, 2011

After much internal debate...I am abandoning a book.

I am not typically a book abandoner.  In fact, I can't really recall the last book I started and didn't finish.  But I have decided to embrace book abandoning.  I have been trying to read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese since I finished House Rules.  I am 167 pages in and I quit.  I gave it a try, I really did but I am taking my bookmark out and putting it back on the shelf.  


I think it is a combination of the writing style and plot.  I am just not that into it.  So, if there is anyone out that has it on their reading list and would like it...please let me know.  I will even mail it to you. 


So...I am wondering, my friends...  Are you a book abandoner or do you stick with them to the bitter end?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. This was one of the bookclub books at P but I couldn't make it to that meeting because of a board I serve on so I sold the book and never read it. I heard mixed reviews. It appeared long, medical and drawn out and in a time and space that I couldn't relate to.

    I am about to get on the train and House Rules is on my iPod. I'm excited to knit, color and listen! :) What about the next Picoult?? Read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel kind of bad because the reviews on bookreads.com were actually pretty good. But I would agree with you that there were parts of the books that were very drawn out. There just wasn't a lot of schema for me...I just couldn't connect to it on a couple of levels...time, place, religion.

    I haven't gotten the new Picoult. I do want to read it though...I may try to get it for my Nook. I am trying to resist getting anything new before I get through the stack on my actual bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete