Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~William Stafford

I saw this quote and it made me smile instantly.  Taelin will dance to anything.  She will dance to me mixing an egg when I am making breakfast, she dances to the windshield wipers in the car, she dances when there is a song playing whether it is fast or slow.  She hears a rhythm, regardless of where is comes from, and she dances.

When we moved Taelin to the daycare she is at currently, they had me fill out an survey about Taelin. What she liked, what she didn't like, what she was good at, etc.  As I teacher, I send these same kind of things out at the beginning of the year hoping to gain some sort of insight on the kids in my class.  One of the things I put on Taelin's survey was that she loved to dance.  When I picked her after being there a few days, the teacher in the room told me that I wasn't kidding when I said that Taelin learned to dance.  Apparently, the teacher had turned some music on and Taelin just launched right into her knee-bouncing dance.  Then, the teacher told me, Taelin all of the sudden just dropped to her stomach and began kicking her legs up and down and with a big smile on her face.  

When the teacher told me the story, I just started laughing because was Taelin was doing was The Worm. You know, The Worm. (google "the worm breakdance move" and you will be educated)  Joe takes the opportunity when it arises, to do The Worm down our hallway and Taelin always tries to do it too.  She just throws herself down and kicks her legs, convinced that she is doing exactly what her dad is doing.  

It makes my heart warm to know that she has such a spirit in her.  I wonder how much of that will be a part of who she always will be.  I know there will come a day (hopefully not too soon) that she won't hear a song to in everything she hears, but I hope that as she grows, she realizes there is always a reason to dance.

1 comment: