Sunday, March 6, 2011

Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Today I finished reading Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls.  One of my favorite reads in the last few years was her first book, Glass Castle, so I was excited to put this on my "to read" list. 

While I enjoyed Half-Broke Horses, it isn't one that I would run out and read again anytime soon.  Nor, can I think of anyone that I might recommend it to.  I think my opinion has more with the fact that I was expecting a follow up to Glass Castle and it wasn't at all.

The story was focused on Jeannette's grandmother's life.  There were a few times that I thought of my own grandmothers, noting similarities and differences, which was fun.  I think one of the best parts of the book was that we were introduced to Jeannette's mother, Rosemary, who is a major character in Glass Castle.  Maybe I just need to reread Glass Castle....

Anyone read Half-Broke Horses?  Opinions?

On www.goodreads.com I have been keeping track of books that I have read and books I want to read.  If you are a reader and are interested...go check it out, and then friend me!

Next up, is Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. 

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about Half Broke Horses -- big, major, letdown after Glass Castle. I liked Sarah's Key, but it is very sad. The lesson I took from it is more of a question -- to what extent to people today bear responsibility or obligation for what happened in the past?

    I can teach you to juggle -- for reals -- if you're interested.

    Maraline

    ReplyDelete