Monday, March 28, 2011

Egg Drop Soup

I am kind of picky about my egg drop soup.  I don't like a lot of "things" in it.  I don't like soy sauce in it.  I do like peas and green onion in my soup.  I know all these things because I have tried several different recipes for  egg drop soup and have eaten many different versions at restaurants.  In addition to being delicious, egg drop soup is a great thing for me to eat when I make lumpia (think eggrolls...kind of) because it is really low in points and helps fill me up so I don't gorge on lumpia.  I found yet another recipe and decided to try it.  I changed a couple of things and here is what I came up with.  It was a hit with the crowd that was eating it...or they are just really good friends that tolerated my attempt.  


Ingredients

  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 dashes sesame oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • a handful of frozen peas (I know...really precise)
  • 2 tsp of cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 green onion, chopped

Directions

  1. Bring the chicken broth, and sesame oil to a boil in a saucepan. 
  2. While stirring slowly in one direction to get the soup moving, pour the beaten egg into the soup in a slow but steady stream. 
  3. Gently stir in the peas. 
  4. Combine the cornstarch and water together.  Stir into to soup to thicken.
  5. Add green onion right before serving.


This recipe is going to be a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment