Tuesday, March 15, 2011

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

The fact that I started this book only 24 hours ago and have already finished it might suggest a couple of things.  It might suggest that it was really good.  It might suggest that I read really fast to get to the end so I would know what happened.  It might suggest that nothing else was accomplished in the last 24 hours other than taking care of Taelin and finishing this book.

Jodi Picoult is one of those guilty pleasures of mine.  She has written 17 books and they are all written in the same style.  They are deeply character driven.  They all contain an element of some socially relevant topic which she presents different viewpoints of through her characters.  They all have an element of a mystery, something unknown to the reader, that is revealed at the end, which is not always happy.  So, when I picked up House Rules last night, I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

The main character in House Rules is a boy named Jacob that is diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.  The story follows Jacob, his mother, his brother, a police detective and a lawyer through the investigation and trial of the death of a college girl that had worked with Jacob on developing social skills.

House Rules isn't going to win any prizes, but I loved it all the same.  I am drawn to stories that show different perspectives of the same situation. I find it interesting to discover which characters I fine myself empathizing with and which ones irritate me.  Then I find it interesting to think about why that is.

1 comment:

  1. I loved it too! Maybe I'll read her last book during spring break ~ I think it's available now.

    ReplyDelete